Prices for laying carpets on stairs are divided into materail and labour costs. The basis for calculating material costs must be products suitable for stairs which are not available in the most favourable price ranges. Labour costs are strongly influenced by the shape of the stairs.
Some variable factors are combined at the final price for laying carpets on stairs:
- Cleaning preparatory work
- Balancing and priming
- Adhesive tape or surface glue
- Material price
- Construction shape of the stairs: open or closed
- Step shape and curved part
- Running path length
- Base and step strips
- Chaining of carpet runners
Most vendors have a detailed cost catalog from which all individual items are listed and the final prices for the respective stair project are added together.
Prices per level
No area prices in square meters are used as units of measure. Normally, individual level prices are given for straight and coiled steps and set steps. If the carpet is to be pulled over the tread, a price is offered for the dressing of the stairs, which includes a step and set step.
If it is an open stair construction, the edge end of the carpet is used to lay the edge, which can be done in different variants. The edges of the carpet can be chained, which creates surcharges in running meters. The application of decorative and cover strips is also calculated in running meters and is usually priced out including material.
If you want to have a staircase re-occupied, you have to reckon with the following core prices:
- Preliminary work including remove old carpet and apply primer 2 to 4 dollars per step
- Cutting and laying straight steps with adhesive tape 8 to 12 dollars
- Cutting and laying of coiled steps with adhesive tape 10 to 15 dollars
- Cutting and laying straight steps with surface glue 15 to 18 dollars
- Cutting and laying of coiled steps with surface glue 16 to 22 dollars
- Wrapping of a step and set level starting at 25 dollars
- Material price for stairs-suitable carpet from 15 dollars per square meter
In addition, there are individual and additional works, which range from 3 to 5 dollars per level.
The higher the quality of the carpet material, the easier it is to install. Weigh up whether you save the craft costs in favor of material quality and lay the carpet yourself.